The saying "April showers bring May flowers" is ringing true this season. It seems like the skies are continually releasing moisture onto the mountains of Lake Tahoe, which is a fabulous thing for us all come summer. But for right now, it is time to take advantage of the feet of snow that still lay in wait.
To help you make the most of this magical time of year, I thought it would be advantageous to mention five guide companies that deserve recognition for their incredible abilities to bring people to the goods. If you are ready to embark into unknown territory but want a little help in doing so, here are five guide operations that will do you right.
- Pacific Crest Snowcats: One of the best ways to get out and enjoy the plethora of snow is by skiing or snowboarding via snowcat. Pacific Crest Snowcats offers an impressive experience in the backcountry of Lake Tahoe, all accessed with a snowcat that is outfitted like a fancy bus. With plush seats, a heated cab, a huge assortment of food for lunch, warm and cold drinks and a crew that is incredibly talented and experienced, it is no wonder that Pacific Crest Snowcats has nearly three decades worth of skiing and snowboarding adventures under its belt. They can honestly call themselves the best cat-skiing operation in Lake Tahoe.
- Coldstream Adventures: For those who enjoy a little power under the palms of their hands, taking an excursion with Coldstream Adventures is a ticket to fun. A snowmobiling guide company that offers excitement for all levels of riders, they are known for their unique custom trips. They have even been known to assist a wedding proposal or two. In addition to normal guided trips, they also offer adventures purely designed for kiddos ages 6 and younger with their Kiddie Cat Snowmobiles.
- Hang Gliding Tahoe: If you are looking for a guided excursion to take you to new heights, Hang Gliding Tahoe is the way to go. Especially this time of the year, with the warming temperatures, clear skies and clean air, hang gliding can be an exceptional experience not soon to be forgotten. This adventure is accessed via a powered hang glider and accompanied with a highly trained instructor. The morning excursions are highly recommended.
- Lake Tahoe Adventures: Another exceptional guide company for those who enjoy snowmobiling, Lake Tahoe Adventures also steps into the summer months with ATV tours. They are a family-owned operation that is gifted on bringing a smile to everyone’s faces by listening to the specific needs and desires of each group. They also pride themselves in never repeating a tour twice, making each tour focused on the beauty and uniqueness that each day brings.
- Tahoe Mountain School: If you are going to go skiing or snowboarding in the backcountry mountains of Lake Tahoe, you have to make certain that you are being safe. To ensure that you are taking the route that will keep you out of danger (and to know what to do in case something goes wrong), a fantastic option is Tahoe Mountain School. Both a backcountry ski school and a guide company, Tahoe Mountain School satisfies the thirst for adventure while keeping everything safe and sound.